While two kids is a very nice even number for any family, the jump from a one-child family to a two-child family can be a toughie. Your newborn has those constant newborn needs, and your toddler has all of the mobility of an older child without the ability to think through her actions. It’ll get easier, we promise, but in the meantime, it is DEFINITELY worth getting a double stroller you can really count on. At the very least, when you leave the house, you’ll know where both of your favorite little people are – strapped securely into a cozy rolling home that’s all their own, equally suited for sightseeing and naptime.
The Bugaboo Donkey rocketed to the top of our double stroller recommendations from the moment we were allowed to talk about it, back in 2010, because it does such a tremendous job applying Bugaboo quality and ingenuity to every detail and quandary you might encounter with a double-wide. (Aside, of course, from people who are bitter about sharing the sidewalk, but seriously, the Donkey really isn’t that wide.) But before we go into the details about what makes the Donkey special, let’s talk about what’s new.
The 2017 Bugaboo Donkey Stroller has only one important change: Bugaboo has added lovely precision-stitched faux leather to the handlebars and belly bars of most of their major stroller models. This luxe style was previously only available on Special Edition strollers, but it has been added to the main Donkey, Cameleon 3, and Buffalo strollers in part because of the look, and in part because it won’t wear out as fast. Given that Bugaboo strollers are legendary for their quality and for lasting over ten years in grand fashion, this upgrade makes perfect sense!
Aside from this, and minor tweaks to the harness and sun canopy that have happened over the years, the Bugaboo Donkey Stroller 2017 is the same terrific stroller we fell in love with at first sight. Here’s a quick summary of what sets the Donkey apart:
- The Bugaboo Donkey can function as a single or double stroller, with a unique telescoping frame that expands in three clicks and can hold one or two stroller seats, bassinets, and/or infant car seats (with a variety of available infant car seat adapters, sold separately). You can purchase it in Mono, Duo, or Twin modes; if you start with a Mono, you can easily add a Duo extension kit when you need it.
- As a single stroller, the Donkey carries a very handy luggage basket beside your child; parents love it for grocery shopping, and kids like having a spot to stow their toys. The Bugaboo Donkey Weekender Special Edition even kicked up this concept a notch by replacing the luggage basket with a very ooh-la-la weekender tote – it’s both practical and so very pretty!
- Obviously the under-seat basket is also HUGE. This stroller can carry a lot of cargo.
- Because the double Donkey is a side-by-side, you get much better maneuvering than you do with tandem doubles. It feels great to push, as a Bugaboo should.
- The Donkey also has large air-filled tires for an excellent push over a wide variety of terrain, and you can even go for two-wheel mode if the going is really tough.
- As with the Buffalo and Cameleon 3, you use a single seat frame for each bassinet/stroller seat, just switching out the fabric.
Want to see the Bugaboo Donkey Stroller 2017 in action? Check out our video review below: