Here at Magic Beans, we’re committed to going a little healthier this year. But we can’t give up sweets entirely on this sweetest of holidays, so we decided to share one of our favorite V-day recipes — because it’s fruit! Well, it’s mostly fruit. And fruit is always healthy, whether it’s smothered in chocolate or not.
– 1 bag (8oz) milk chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli, but probably any milk chocolate will do)
– 1/2 bag white chocolate chips
– 1 quart fresh strawberries (with stems is helpful)
– 4 bananas, cut into fourths
1. Fill two pots with 1-2 inches of water each and bring to a simmer.
2. Pour milk chocolate chips into a metal bowl that will fit over one of the pots of water (or use double boiler). Pour white chocolate chips into another metal bowl that fits over the other pot.
3. Once the water comes to a simmer turn off the heat & put bowls on top.
4. Stir with spatula until chips melt and become glossy.
5. Hold strawberries by their stem or carefully by their green tops and dip into the milk chocolate mixture, swirling to shake off any excess chocolate, then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Once you’ve finished covering all of your fruit with milk chocolate, grab a fork and dip into the white chocolate (have the baking sheet near). Hold the fork about six inches away from the pan and splatter over fruit. Your kids will love to help with this step (just remind them to keep the fork low and use small gestures, or you’ll be cleaning chocolate off the ceiling from now until the 4th of July). We did sort of a slanted design on ours, but you can use any design you like!
Notes: You’ll most likely have some chocolate left over so if you have any other fruit on hand, give it a try (everything tastes better with chocolate). Or just eat it with a spoon. Wait, no, don’t do that. Eat it with a fork. Fewer calories that way.